Friday 12 February 2016

Typography








































The challenge in this week's process and production studio session was to experiment in type creation and form a sentence beginning with 'I am' within a 4x4 grid. I began by making a small mock up on A4 paper before moving up in scale. Pictured above is type I created using masking tape and ink in order to ensure the lines were straight resulting in better legibility. I really wanted the font and the message to be intertwined which is why I chose to have only parts of the block-style letters on show.

The next stage was to move up in size again to not only make a bigger impact but also to show that the typeface could be scaled up or down and continue to be effective. This time I thought more deeply about the message I was aiming to convey and decided on a change of medium. If a person was in hiding then they are likely to be self-conscious and lacking in confidence. I did not think that the straight structured lines within the first grid pictured, gave off this feel. The typography pictured above was hand painted which gives off a personal touch and also makes the text appear vulnerable and not quite as structured as the first time around.

Finally I thought it would be fun to display my type in a way which related to the message it conveyed. Setting the grid out in a very public place contradicted the message and I thought this would be a good way to challenge the concept of self consciousness.


No comments:

Post a Comment